Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fresh...in Winter

My week of cooking started off with a bang.  Well, almost a bang, but it was a funky sound nevertheless.  My beloved Kitchen Aid blender was on its last legs.  See, the coupler (the black thing in the photo), had been losing "teeth" for about a month, but Wednesday was the last straw.  

I was distraught because a) Kitchen Aid motors don't die, EVER, so I knew there was still life in this guy and b) about two months ago I had to buy a new glass blending jar because I had broken the original one.  I perked up a bit at the thought of buying a new one, but I really like this old style, so I thought I would just check with KA to see if there was anything they could do.  Fortunately for me I was directed to an authorized part company and they carried the exact part I was looking for.  Cost?  $3.50.  I am SO excited that I don't have to retire this kitchen appliance.  

(Did I really just write two paragraphs about a blender???)


On to food...

Although it will seem, based on my last post, that all we have is wheat pasta, that is not true.  I just have honestly spaced taking pictures of my kitchen expeditions this week.

MENU

Ricotta Crepes with Mixed Berries

Fig & Apricot Stuffed Pork Loin with Fig Compote, Braised Baby Red Potatoes, Creamed Green Beans and Chocolate Pot de Creme

Asparagus, Prosciutto and Gouda Frittata

Curry Chicken with Chickpeas and Coconut Mango Brown Rice

Spiced Beef Corn Cobbler

Whole Wheat Fettuccine with Alfredo, Italian Sausage and Asparagus
Mixed Greens with Dried Figs, Almonds and Fig Vinaigrette
(Pictured below)


















I loved this meal.  I enjoy the hearty flavor of whole wheat pasta with a cream based sauce, and even more so with a green vegetable like asparagus.  Fresh parmigiano is a must.  The best part?  The greens were from my co-op order that I got on Thursday.  Even in the 15 degree weather I could taste spring.  I heart co-ops!

No comments:

Post a Comment