Sunday, January 23, 2011

Butternut/Ricotta Ravioli and a new toy

I loved winter and my cold storage full of hearty squashes.  My favorite, by far, is butternut squash.  

Butternut Squash and Ricotta Whole Wheat Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce
Warm Spinach Salad with Maple Bacon Dressing








AND....a new toy.

Can I just tell you how much I LOVE kitchen tools?  Seriously, I own 32 pieces of All-Clad.  After teaching cooking classes at Williams Sonoma for three years I can still walk into that store and get giddy.  Really.  WS supplies all of my olive oils, and in case you haven't read the "about me" section, I always have at least 8 on hand, and yes, you really need more than one!  But I don't like olives.  Funny, huh?  Also, my collections of salts right now sits at 13.  Microplanes?  6.  Sheet pans?  12.  Cuisinart 22 cup food processor?  Check.  KA Pro 6 qt. stand mixer?  Check?  I pretty much have it all.  Do you NEED everything I have?  Probably not, but this is what I DO.  I cook.  And, I LOVE to cook, so it is my hobby.  For those of you who don't really cook, there really are only three essentials.  A good knife, a good pan, and a good olive oil.  You can pretty much take on the kitchen world if you have those three items.  But something WS doesn't sell?  

THIS...


I finally broke down and bought a heavy duty wheat grinder.  And I love it!  I have ground wheat and brown rice so far.  I am looking forward to trying other things.  My only concern?  Power.  If we lose power this grinder won't do me much good.  I guess that means I need to buy a generator.  Oh well, it was worth it.  But guess what I discovered?  I can't grind wheat without having a SEVERE allergy attack...uh-oh.  For now I am just going to ignore it and see what happens.  But I can tell you that if I was allergic to wheat I don't know what I would do.  That would be almost as bad as being allergic to chocolate.  Or it could be like my cherry and watermelon allergy...which means I still eat them and go about my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment