Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Utah Reviews

Downtown Salt Lake City

A fabulous little Thai restaurant down the street from the Temple.

Chicken Satay...an interesting take on traditional satay, this chicken was poached and coated with curry and a peanut sauce for dip.  The chicken was moist and perfect.  The peanut sauce had a sweet hint that accompanied the curry perfectly.

Gai Pad Khing...Stir fried chicken with a ginger/lemongrass broth with green onions, red bell pepper.  The broth and the vegetables were perfect, but the chicken was a little dry.

Panang Curry...hands down the best meal of our dining experience.  This slightly spicy curry with coconut milk and red bell pepper was fantastic. 

Pad Thai...a traditional Thai menu item this pad thai was a little on the sweet side but was perfect for my sister in law Jen.  Daron has been trying to get Jen to go to a Thai restaurant for years.  Since I was in town she decided to bite the bullet and go with us.  I think she liked this one...

Thai Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango...let's just say that mango is meant to be paired with Thai and Indian food.  This rice was perfect.  And the mango, probably the BEST mango I have had in the United States...EVER.  I seriously wanted to go raid their refrigerator and take some home with me.

I was enjoying the meal so much that I forgot to take pictures!!!

A hip little find just down from the Temple and a few blocks before Sawadee, this locally sustaining restaurant was wonderful.  The menu caters to the brunch crowd and had quite an eclectic array of foods.

Tomato Gazpacho...words cannot convey the joy I felt having this to start off my dining experience.  A perfect blend of tomatoes, peppers, and onions, this gazpacho had a nice little bite with the addition of sherry.

Smoked Portobello Sandwich with Chevre, Roasted Red Pepper, Caramelized Onions and Spinach...Y..U...M...M...Y.  I really don't need to describe this because you cannot go wrong with goat cheese and mushrooms together.  Plus the house cut fries were a bonus!


Gourmandise

I wish I was a singer...I would sing about Macarons...and Croissants...and Macarons...and Eclairs...and Macarons...
I left with a dozen Macarons, a Croissant, an Eclair and 
Orem/Provo

Pizzeria 712

Just when I think I have had every type of pizza comes along Pizzeria 712.  A fun, although somewhat hidden, spot in Orem, this pizzeria has it down.  From the Heirloom Tomato, Hand Pulled Mozzarella and Basil Salad to the Pizza, you can't go wrong.  As yes, I said hand pulled...and you could taste the freshness.  It was fabulous.  They sure nailed the whole meal. 

The salad's tomatoes and mozzarella were perfect at room temperature with just the right amount of basil, oil and balsamic vinegar.

I ordered the Roasted Summer Squash, Caramelized Onion, Gorgonzola and Sage Pizza.  I would drive to Utah JUST to eat this pizza.  This wood fired pizza was perfect.  From the fresh zucchini to the sage every element of this pizza worked.  There was just enough Gorgonzola to give a nice tang opposite the sweetness of the onions.  You can tell they take a lot of pride in their pizzas and this one is the pinnacle of success.

Laurie ordered the Roasted Sweet Corn, Leeks, Mushrooms and Smoked Provolone.  Having just come from Iowa (Where Sweet Corn is King), this was pretty good.  The corn was mildly sweet (Iowa remains King I am happy to say), but paired with three other savory ingredients made it taste off.  Don't get me wrong, this was a good pizza.  We both polished off our 12 inches pies.  




Red Mango

Have you ever tried a Red Mango?  Hands down the best frozen yogurt...ever.  Plus, for those calorie conscious the small serving as picture has only 170 calories.  I opted for the sweet and tangy Pomegranate.  With quality add in's like fresh fruit, Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate and nuts, you can't go wrong.  There wasn't anything that didn't look fresh.  I also tried a sample of Key Lime which was perfect. 



El Gallo Giro

No pictures here, but about as authentic as my friends, Josh and Yolanda when we dined at their house.  The sweet pork enchiladas were covered in a fresh verde.  I also tried asada and chicken which were both moist and fresh.  Homemade chips and a slightly spicy salsa were the perfect accompaniment to our order of table side made chunky guacamole!  This ain't no American Mexican food!!


Sweet Tooth Fairy

Oh Sweet Tooth Fairy, how do I love thee, let me count the ways.  I am the proverbial sweet tooth.  I wish I could quite, but I can't.  I...LOVE...SUGAR.   But I will say that sometimes plain and simple are the best.  Out of the Raspberry Lime, Double Chocolate, Cookies and Cream, Key Lime and VaNIElla that I ordered, the VaNIElla reigns supreme.  I loved the slight coconut and almond extract taste in the frosting.  The cupcake was perfectly moist.  My first visit I ordered a bakers dozen...the second time I got half a dozen.  I am already going through Sweet Tooth Fairy withdrawals...


West Jordan



I took almost all of my nieces and nephews (sorry you missed out Audrey and Jen) to this newly opened Sushi bar in Jordan's Landing.  They had already been there and said it was really good.  They weren't wrong.  I wanted to get a few of them to try sushi so I was mild in what I ordered.  We tried the Vegas, Sunset, Samurai and Spicy Tuna.  The Vegas roll was a huge hit to everyone, even Ashley!  A few others ordered the Chicken Teriyaki Donburi's.  They said the chicken was moist and cooked perfectly.  I had the Steak Bento.  The steak had a nice flavor, but was a little dry.  However, the tempura (sweet potato, onion, zucchini, acorn squash, and shrimp) was cooked perfectly.  You can tell they have experience cooking in oil...you can always tell if tempura isn't cooked at the right temperature because it tastes like oil.  Not this tempura.  Crisp, slightly sweet batter with bite tender vegetables and moist shrimp.  I love it when I am pleasantly surprised! 

No comments:

Post a Comment