Monday, April 27, 2009

The week started off great...this little salad was our dinner on Monday before we were off to Taylor's baseball game.

Romaine with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette, Oven Roasted Shrimp and Parmesan Bruschetta

We lasted a whole 30 minutes because it was freezing. It was ridiculous. I couldn't take pictures once again because my hands were too bundled up. I would be more frustrated about this whole weather thing, but it is baseball season, and it is Iowa...

Luckily the weather had a change of heart for the rest of the week...well, almost anyways. McKay and I enjoyed a nice lunch on the patio. She loves the outdoors. She always wants to go, go, go. Even when Daddy is trying to push her on the swing...she saw the boys playing chase so she decided to go join them.

We got out the kiddie pool and of course the older boys thought that they needed to be in it to. The next door neighbors even brought their little pool boards...didn't quite work like they thought it would, but I guess it is a good thing. They want to "surf" them down the little slide. I couldn't understand why Kyle wouldn't put the pool below the real slide, but I am glad he figured out what they wanted to do! I am quite sure a trip to the ER was avoided!

When McKay got cold she was trying to wrap her beach towel around her body. She got so frustrated because it is so big. I should have video taped it because the picture just don't do it justice.

Of course while they were playing I was lounging on the hammock enjoying the sun...have I told you before that I would have made a great Egyptian because I would have had no problems worshipping the sun God?

After the cooking class I taught this week I picked up these little lovelies. The apron is so cute and feminine. I had to try to bourbon barrel aged syrup but as I went to pour it into a warming bowl the bottom fell out and $28.00 syrup was now all over my counter. Alas, my scraper came to the rescue and I saved about half of it. Didn't enjoy the mess, but I loved, loved, loved the syrup. Worth another $28.00? For me yes, Kyle wasn't that impressed. I guess people without Umami just don't understand.

We had a great evening with friends at Azalea and then attended the Des Moines Choral Society Concert. The music highlights were Mozart's Requiem and Mack Wilberg's Requiem. Our friend Nathan had a solo and it was beautiful. It is such a treat to enjoy quality entertainment and appreciate others talents. I would definitely recommend attending one of their performances. Azalea was pretty good. To start we had portabello fries that were done to perfection with a tangy and slightly spicy dipping sauce, herbed focaccia was nicely balanced, I asked for my salmon to be medium (the waitress gave me a weird look so I was prepared for it to be overdone) and they came pretty close, sides of green beans, potatoes, and roasted grape tomatoes with a thyme oil completed the light but satisfying dish. However, the desserts ranged from pretty good (Italian semi-freddo with blueberry compote) to a mediocre Chocolate Pecan Tart to a disastrous creme brulee trio(you know it is cooked incorrectly when you can taste butter instead of the cream). Kyle had tried lunch and wasn't overly impressed during his first visit ,so I would choose wisely on the menu and go to another restaurant for a quality dessert.

My friend Angie came over for dinner and we had a fun meal. She eats gluten free so it is always enjoyable for me to try meals without gluten. Our meal tonight:

Mixed Greens in a Parmesan bowl with Champagne Vinaigrette

Herb Roasted Pork Tenderloin with a White Truffle Cream Sauce
Oven Roasted Green Beans with Pancetta
Wild Rice Cakes with Sauteed Shallots and Goat Cheese


Floating Islands


Recipes? Email me if you are interested. It takes up way too much space to type them all.

As for this week? Do I need to even tell you busy? Let's see...run (5, 6, 5, 4, Rest, 8), visit teaching, 4 baseball games, two baseball practices, Scouts, early out, lunch with friends (Sushi!!!) and I am sure a few other things as usual will be added as the week goes on.

True to Coleman style little Miss Stealth started it off with a bang...after my run I was taking a quick, and I mean quick, shower to get ready to go visiting teaching, McKay was in her room playing nicely, when I got out I called her and she came in covered head to toe with baby powder. She had made quite the nice mess in her bathroom. I will post that picture next week. Surprise you? I am sure by now it shouldn't. So, if you are ever standing next to me and I stink you now know why.

2 comments:

  1. Literally my mouth waters everytime i look at pics of the food you create! YUM! I need to get one of those plastic pools for this summer. hours of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the sun God. I love nice weather.
    Looks like you are stating busy. The food look DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete