Monday, April 20, 2009

Take me out to the ballgame

Let's talk about the past week....5 baseball practices, dishwasher repair, lunch with a friend, Scouts, Youth Etiquette dinner, birthday party, early out, early morning PTO meeting, delivered PTO lunch (Bravo!) to school, bike ride, opening night at I-Cubs, 2 baseball games and lots of running. Phew...

Drum roll please....Kyle decided he wanted his team to get in a lot of practices for their first game Saturday. They had practice Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Because he didn't want to seem like too much of a slave driver, he and the other coaches took their team to Opening night at the I-Cubs Friday night. Grant and I also went and sat in our seats by home plate. Grant took his friend Dillon. We got asked if one of the kids wanted to participate in an activity in between innings and Grant said Dillon could. So Dillon got to dress like a Bbop hamburger and race around the field to try and win a prize. He came in second to a much older kid, but he still did great.

I had lunch with my foodie friend Angie. She is moving and I am going to miss eating out with her. It's rare to find someone who enjoys food as much as I do. But at least I will be able to check off the restaurants that I want to try in Indianapolis!

I once again got asked this year to teach an Etiquette dinner to the youth. I had a great time last year and I was excited to have them try new things again. I was impressed that a few of them remembered tips they were taught last year. I hope they that realize that someday these tips will come in handy, despite one young ladies opinion. I hope she calls me in 15 years and lets me know how "real life" is working out for her. The year the menu was:

Tomato, Zucchini and Goat cheese Tart

Seared Romaine with Caesar dressing


Pancetta
Roast Pork Loin with Capers and Pan roasted Broccoli with Pinenuts and Parmesan



Chocolate Mousse




If you are interested in any of the recipes, let me know. They are all delicious!

My running buddy Colleen has been trying, albeit to no avail, to get me to do a Triathlon. First of all, running is a stretch as it is. Second, I HATE swimming, and third, I was reminded that biking isn't that great either. On my off day we decided to go on a nice, leisurely (yeah, right) bike ride to Adel. (About 14 miles round trip from my house). My butt has never felt s0 much pain. Seriously, I barely could get off my bike. It has been quite a while since I have been on that long of a bike ride and not to mention the fact that I was carry an extra 40 pounds with a mountain bike. So, I will not do a triathalon and I think I will tie a pillow to my bike seat the next time she suggests a bike ride. I did pay her back, however, by making her get up Saturday morning at 6:30 to go on our 8 mile run!

True to Iowa we had rain on Little League opening day. Our rain was perfect, but at about the 8:30 game start time the rain came knocking. We made it through the game, both boys played at the same time, and got home just in time. The pictures I got are very blurry because I was worried about little Miss Stealth. I will try to get some tonight. Last year I hired a babysitter for most of the boys games and I am thinking this year it might not be such a bad idea again. The boys spent the rest of the day playing outside, "scouting" other games, and playing.

Me? I rested my aching, sore body and sat around. Thank goodness I have a light week. 3, Rest, 4, 4, Rest, 4. I think I will make Saturdays run longer, maybe 6, but we'll see.

This will be another fun filled week. Game tonight, Cooking Class Tuesday, Scouts Wednesday, Practice Thursday, no school Friday, games Saturday, Des Moines Choral Concert Saturday (a couple of friends sing in the group). And I am sure by the end of the day there will be a couple more practices put into the schedule and a sleep over that Grant has been begging for. Wish us luck! No wonder I am so dang tired at the end of the day.

3 comments:

  1. I need a nap after reading that post! You wore me out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ginnie--

    Have you considered a sprint triathlon? I am training for one right now ( 12 days away!! ) and it has been really fun to train for. Exhausting, but fun. 200 yd swim, 12 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. C'mon, give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're quite the busy bee!

    That food looks so yummy that you made for the YM/YW.

    You're my hero for running so much. I'm all about sprinting :).

    I'll give you a call later on today to talk about the reschedule...although from the looks of it your schedule this week is pretty full...

    ReplyDelete