Sunday, June 19, 2011

An All-Star Week


Boy have we been busy this week...I know, you are all shocked and surprised!

This week was fun for the kids.  Both of the boys had golf camp and McKay attended Art in the Park.  The boys really enjoy golf camp and this year I decided to put them in a little earlier.  Every year I wait until baseball is over because it really messes with Taylor's swing, but it is always so hot the first week of August.  This year was perfect, weather wise, and he has been hitting really good so this time it was a win-win.  McKay loved art in the park.  She made quite a few things...a lava lamp, tye die t-shirt, Father's Day frame, jelly fish, and kite to name a few.  She even met a new friend who will be at the same school as her next year!

Taylor was once again selected for All-Stars.  He is pretty excited and has now been on All-Stars for the last three years.  Kyle is also coaching the All-Stars, so I am sure it goes without saying that we will continue to be busy.  Between this and Taylor's USSSA team I think our July is going to be all about baseball.


Taylor, bottom right in the Yankees jersey...of course!
 

Grant is really excited about football this year.  I just signed him up for the conditioning camp that they are putting on and he attends it every Monday and Wednesday night...although, he was a little disappointed that he didn't get to tackle anyone the first night!

Hinckley is busy...still only walking a few steps at a time, but I don't mind at all.  He loves to be held and likes me...a lot.

He does not like being left out...


and has found a new love of puzzles...


and loves to go on rides on the bike.

Yes, there are days when she does slow down!
 
McKay is a tom-boy through and through.  She loves frogs...


and wants to sleep in her "tent" every night...


Taylor ran his first race with  me on Saturday.  I decided to run the Clive Fest 10K and I thought Taylor might enjoy doing the mile race.

He did really well...tying for second with an official time of 6:51.  He got to run against one of his USSSA baseball teammates and had a great time.  My race ended up being only 5 miles instead of 6.2 because part of the trail was covered in water.  It was really hot and humid (73 degrees, 88% humidity) so that made it tough...and it was a hilly course.  But, I ended up doing pretty well, taking 3rd in my age group.  Woo hoo for being past 35!  And now I know that I need to implement more hill routes into my running!




Taylor is excited for the next one and wants to run a 5K.  He is sure that will be easier because he gets to run "slow".  I think we will try for the Waukee 4th of July race.  There is also a run that looks like fun that weekend called "Midnight Madness" and I am thinking about that one too.  My friend Angie is trying to convince me to run the Bix7...go take a look at that course.  It makes me tired just thinking about it...but I am thinking about!

Since I can remember Grant has said that he wants to be a builder when he grows up.  Well, he got his first real chance at being a builder this weekend.

I have a beautiful strawberry patch.  My only problem is that I haven't had a permanent cover for it.  Last year I used netting, and it worked well keeping the birds away, but it was a pain to get to my plants.  This year Kyle said he was going to build me a cover but instead opted to let Grant take the reins.  Grant designed it by drawing it on a piece of paper, told Kyle how it was going to work, went to the lumber store and helped Kyle is every aspect of building it.

Here is his finished project:



Ha ha robins...no more buffet for you!

This week I am going to try to take the boys to spend a day at Adventureland.  Hopefully the weather will be nice and we will get some sun...my tomatoes need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment