Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What to cook on a cold, and I mean COLD, winter day?

First you start off with a nice, extra large, cup of hot chocolate and homemade marshmallows.  No I don't give out the recipe, but come on over and I will make you cup.  And I did say on my family blog that I could contend for the world's best...yeah, I am humble.  And no, I don't use water...yuk.  You cannot, I repeat, cannot claim world's best, when you use water for hot chocolate.  Sorry, it's a no go.  Another one?  There is no such things as world's best fried chicken if it's oven baked.  I have more, but I'll wait for another time to talk about that!


Then you make a pan of granola bars...today's flavors?
Dark chocolate and almond with almond butter and agave nectar
Dried cranberry, Sunflower seed, and almond with almond butter and agave nectar









And finish the day with...drum roll please, I know you will all be shocked, SHOCKED, that I make this...homemade chicken pot pie.  But the key is FRESH.  Use real carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, and peas.  (I did use frozen peas, but they were from my garden!).  It takes a few extra minutes to chop them, but oh so worth it.  Another big change?  No bouillon for me.  I use chicken demi-glace instead, it makes the broth have the depth and richness that you need for a good chicken pot pie.  And although I love puff pastry, I prefer a traditional crust for pot pies.





Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I got to the filling and then somebody needed my attention.  But regardless, it was good.  Rich, fulling and delicious.

Today I am making graham crackers.  And I am craving ciabatta, but I need a starter so I guess that will be on tomorrows cooking agenda.

1 comment:

  1. Call me next time u r making this menu. I'll stop by with Tupperware. :). Yummy to it all!,

    ReplyDelete