Saturday, September 25, 2010

A birthday, a lot of wind, a little bit of sweat and a few raindrops

With the exception of the birthday, the other three describe a typical Iowa day. Wyoming is in its own special weather category and I'll tell you what folks, Iowa is working on becoming a contender for that title. But before we get into my dissertation on weather, how about some birthday talk.

Yep, another year has gone by, inching me closer to that milestone of four decades. And you know what, it doesn't bother me a bit. It doesn't feel like I should be having my 20 year reunion in two years, nor does it feel like I have been married for 13 years (very subtle reminder Honey so that you don't drop the ball for our big 15), but I am gently reminded when I look at how fast my children are growing up. Seriously, wasn't Taylor just three years old? Time flies when you are having fun doesn't it?

Now on to even more fun. My dearest knows me well. He stayed home Monday to spend with me due to obligations on Wednesday. As I was getting ready for the day I casually mentioned that I bought myself a present, to which he didn't make a reply. At lunch I finally asked if he was curious about what I had purchased, and he said "sometimes it just is better to not know". (funny man he is). Anyway, despite his attempts to curtail the conversation I proudly announced that I had finally decided to buy a kindle. (I read...A LOT....and usually 3-5 books at a time which made it hard to carry them all around.). His reply? "Why did you waste your money on that. Why didn't you just buy an IPad?". Now that is a first, him trying to encourage me to spend more money...I was in shock.  Shock I tell you! I didn't even consider the IPad because it is a little pricey, but he was convinced it would be a better purchase for me and you know what, he was right. I love my new Ipad. I can almost go paperless...almost. How about that carbon footprint? Definitely worth it, in my opinion. Thanks sweetheart! Another milestone, this is the first year I didn't make my traditional cherry chip cake with cherry frosting and eat the...whole...thing. I do have weight to lose still friends! The kids tried to be extra good, my parents sent me some beautiful flowers, my friend Tiffany made her famous chocolate chip cookies (she is in contention for some of the best...ever!), my friend Susan made me a lovely bracelet, and we watched the Yankees.  Did you all know that when I was younger I was pretty sure I was going to marry Don Mattingly?  Well, I am okay that it didn't work out but my blood still runs blue for "Donnie Baseball".   A big thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes, they meant a lot!

Oh, how do I love thee Mother Nature, let me count the ways.  I have said this before and I will say it again, Mother Nature has some serious identity issues.  Hot and humid one day, rainy the next, normal fall weather one morning, foggy (Good Morning Seattle) the next, windy (and I know windy!) in the afternoon.  Sound familiar Wyoming friends?  Well, Iowa, as they say in Wyoming, "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change!"

Four months old, four shots, and three comparisons....

Taylor
17 pounds, 12 ounces, 26 1/2 inches long

Grant
17 pounds, 12 ounces, 26 inches long

McKay
13 pounds, 14 ounces, 25 1/2 inches long

Hinckley
16 pounds, 26 1/2 inches long

I thought for sure that my little chunkster was going to be the recorded breaker...I mean, look at those ham hocks!  But alas, the older two are tied for first.  (Competition at that young of age?  Now it all makes sense!)  I guess we will have to see what happens at six months.  

One of these days, when I have a spare minute or two, (ha..haha..ha), I will import all of my photos from the old mavica cd's onto my computer for comparison pictures.  One of these days...

Fun day for football...for diehards anyway.  If you live in Seattle you probably would have loved the weather this morning.  Sprinkles started, then the downpour.  I tried to tough it out, after all the baby was snuggled inside his car seat, sleeping, and cozy warm, but decided to call it quits when the wind came up a bit.  On my way to the car they called the games so Taylor didn't get to play his game.  Maybe next week it will be better!

McKay has a new hobby.  All...of...the...time.  She likes to do headstands.  She does them here, she does them there, she does them everywhere.  It's getting old.  Especially when she tries to do them by me and missed Hinckley's head by about 1/2 of an inch.  All...of...the...time people!

Last, but not least, in this long winded post is little man's first attempt at cereal.  The every 2 hour feedings have finally gotten to me so I decided it was time for a little more substance.  You can figure out his feelings about the whole experience when you look at the pictures.  Let's just keep our fingers crossed that one of these days he'll be more receptive.


Off to bed now, well, for at least two hours, then awake for a bit to nurse, then two hours of sleep, then awake to nurse, then...well, you get the picture.  Good thing I have the new Ipad so I can switch back and forth between the five books I am currently reading...so worth it!

P.S.  I promise I will get the food blog updated tomorrow...or maybe tonight, in my bed, during one of the many times I am awake, with my new Ipad!  

1 comment:

  1. That little face is darling! He is so cute! Hang in there. Those feedings get so old so quick...

    ReplyDelete