Friday, July 6, 2012

What's cooking...

Eggs on a sidewalk, that's what.  Not really, but I think I am going to try that today...just to see.  Because as I said before, it is stinking hot!

We decided on BBQ for the 4th with a little twist.  

BBQ Brick Chicken
Steamed Green Beans with Herb Butter
Corn Bread
Watermelon, Cherry and Blueberry Salad
Lemonade



Preheat grill over medium.  Cut the back bone out of two organic chickens.  Salt and pepper well.  Push down along breast bone so they are flattened.


Place chicken, breast side up, on grill, keeping temperature around 350-375 degrees.  Place sheet pan with stones or foil wrapped stones on top of the chicken.  Cook 20 minutes, checking once in a while to make sure the heat isn't burning the skin.


BBQ Sauce.  I don't think I want to share this recipe.  Kyle said this time I nailed it.  I added something a little different and I just might have to enter this in a contest.  Maybe someday I will share it, but until then feel free to invite yourself over for dinner.

I will say this.  There are 7 ingredients, all gluten free, no corn syrup, all organic and natural.  


Might as well teach them young how to snap the ends off beans...I see some Dilly Beans in my canning future.



Herb butter...1 stick butter, 1/2 c. mixed herbs (chive, thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley and sage), 1 tbsp. sea salt and freshly ground pepper.


Cornbread.  You can't beat this recipe, unless of course you use freshly ground non-gmo and gluten free corn for cornmeal, which I happen to do!  Replace all of the flour with the freshly ground cornmeal.  Also, I use about half of the sugar called for, and I slather butter all over it right when it comes out of the oven.  Everything really is better with butter.  



After 20 minutes turn the chicken and slather with BBQ sauce.  Cook for another 5-10 minutes, turn an repeat with the sauce, slathering and turning every few minutes so the sauce really absorbs into the meat.


Perfection!


Steam 2 pounds fresh green beans and the coat with the herb butter.  



1 comment:

  1. Consider ourselves invited over. Dang that looks good. We are cooking eggs on the sidewalk over here too...this heat is killing me.

    ReplyDelete