Saturday, January 14, 2012

A start and an end

Santa left a sewing machine under my tree this year.  Growing up I remember being in 4-H and having sewing projects, I also took the required classes in school, and my Mom taught me a bit.  I actually KNOW how to do basic things.  My husband has wanted one for a while just to do hemming, put on patches for scout uniforms, etc. but I have hesitated.  I also think Kyle was pretty sure I couldn't sew anything.  I  can...and of course, the first thing I had to sew was this...


Just don't look at the hem too close...I could use some practice.  I bought an "Easy" pattern.  There were quite a few things I didn't like about it, so I will change a few things the next time I make one.  I have a thing with aprons, and yes, I do need one for each day of the year.  Plus, this fabric was on clearance, so with the thread, it cost me $2.78.  Pretty good if I do say so myself.

I also bought some doll patterns, and I purchased all clearance fabric as well.  I have noticed that sewing isn't the savings it used to be.  I guess that is because everything is outsourced to other countries, which, of course, could merit a whole different discussion, but it certainly doesn't save you money like it used to.  I couldn't buy fabric at normal cost and make an apron for less than I can buy one from the store now a days.  How sad.

The end is my sewing machine.  Already.  Santa made me the Singer 6199 Brilliance, which I have not been impressed with at all.  The bobbin continually jams, and after reading reviews I was happy to find out that I was not the problem (woo hoo, I do know a thing or two).  So it will be returned, and a new one, with multiple positive reviews has already been ordered from Amazon and will be here Tuesday.  I can't wait to get started on my pile of hemming that needs to be done...(insert a sarcastic little tone here).  Good thing they are all easy hems...forget the difficult ones, because if it is lined or surged it is time for the professional to step in.

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! Sewing certainly is one of my favorite topics to read about on peoples blogs...especially if they have pictures of their achievements!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Yeah, sewing sure doesn't save $ these days, except in alterations like hemming. I'm surprised how much they are able to charge at the dry cleaners for stuff like that. It's just not as fun as creating something!

    ReplyDelete