Monday, January 9, 2012

Baru 66

We enjoyed a night out Saturday and dined at Baru 66.  If you haven't had the chance to go, and you are in the Des Moines area, you must!  It is superb.  Divine.  PERFECT!

Our table chose to do the Chef's Tasting Six Course menu.  And for me, he delivered just what I expected...and what I would have chosen!

Amuse Bouche:  Pickled herring over a pineapple salsa.

1st course:  Foie Gras Terrine wPear and Beet.  Perfection.  I adore foie gras and this preparation, wrapped with parma ham was light, silky smooth and lovely.

2nd course:  Striped bass over puree of Jerusalem artichoke with a beurre blanc foam. Absolute genius.  The beurre blanc foam balanced so well with the bass and artichoke puree.   But what really set this dish apart was the caviar nestled under the foam, making each bite tease the five tastes.

3rd course:  Seared scallop with a sweet potato puree and pea shoots  Scallop perfectly seared and moist.  The earthy smoothness of the potato paired well with the sweet, buttery scallop.

4th course:  Lamb rack and potato.  In my book, you can't go wrong with a perfectly medium rare rack of lamb and he nailed it.

5th course:  Cheese.  The selection of cheeses were delightful as was the apple compote that accompanied it.  There were also candied walnut which I had to sadly turn over to Kyle as I have an allergy to them, but he assures me they were wonderful.

6th course:  Dessert-Well worth breaking the New Years diet for!  A cherry marshmallow with chocolate ganache and cherries accompanied by a chocolate ganache filled delicate ginger cookie and chocolate ice cream was heavenly.  It was really hard to not order a few more desserts off the menu...in hindsight, because I was breaking the diet that day, I should have!  

Friandise:  Panna Cotta with Lemon Macaroon.  What a way to end a meal!

By far Des Moines best restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment